新英语900句视频版 第41课:失眠的夜晚 文本如下:
LESSON 1
第1课
JOANA: HOW'S the painting coming?
画出来了吗?
MICHAEL: I don't Know. Last night I was up till 3:30 or 4: 00, and even though I'm exhausted, I can't sleep. I haven't been sleeping well for a week.
不知道,昨天晚上虽然我精疲力尽,可怎么也睡不着,这一个星期我都没睡好。
JOANA: That's probably because you're too tense.
这倒有可能,因为你太紧张了。
MICHAEL: I don't know what's wrong.
我也不明白到底怎么了。
JOANA: Great paintings aren't created overnight, Try to relax.
一幅杰作,也不是一个晚上就能创作出来的。还是放松点。
MICHAEL: That's easier said than done.
谈何容易。
JOANA: I'm sorry.
对不起!
MICHAL: NO, don't apologize.
没什么。
JOANA: What's the subject of the painting?
画的主题是什么?
MICHAL: That's the problem. I want to do a portrait.
我正在考虑。我想画一张肖像。
JOANA: Of whom?
谁的肖像?
MICHAEL: A woman, A modern woman. But that's all I know. I've been drawing all week, but I don't like anything I've done.
一个女人的,一个现代女性的肖像。可是你看,画了一星期了,没有一张让我满意。
JOANA: What's the problem? Do you know?
那到底是什么问题?你知道吗?
MICHAEL: Me. I'm the problem. I think I'm going stale.
我,是我的问题。我觉得我在后退。
I've been painting for ten years, I should be able to do better than this.
第2课
JOANA: I'm sure you will. Even if you spend a few sleepless nights, it's worth it.
我相信你能画好,即使是几个晚上睡不好,也值得。
MICHAEL: What do you think I should do?
你认为我该做什么?
JOANA: Take a break for a few hours.
休息几个小时。
MICHAEL: No. I mean, do you think I should give up and go into business with my father?
不,我是说,你看我是不是该放弃绘画,跟我父亲去经商?
JOANA: What I think doesn't matter. You've got to be happy with what you do. Besides, that decision was made years ago, wasn't it?
我看这些无关紧要。你做的工作会给你带来乐趣,而且这是你几年前决定的,对吗?
MICHAEL: It was. But things change. Which is better for now ?
对,但是事情变了,现在对我们来说哪样更好呢?
JOANA: Michael, what do you want me to say? It's got to be your decision.
米其尔,你想让我说什么?这事应由你自己决定呀。
MICHAEL: I'm not asking you to decide for me. I just want to know what you think. You must have your likes and dislikes.
我不是想让你为我做决定,我只想知道你是怎么想的,你一定有你喜欢和不喜欢的。
JOANA: Maybe I don't. Maybe I don't know what to think.
也许我没有。也许我不知道该去想什么。
MICHAEL: I'm sorry. I didn't mean to upset you.
对不起,我没有勉强你的意思。
JOANA: All I mean, Michael, is that I agree with what you're doing. If you can be a successful artist, fine; if you can't, go into business with your father. But at least give yourself the chance to find out.
米其尔,我是意思是我同意你所做的。如果你能成为一个成功的艺术家,也好。否则,跟你父亲去经商也行。但至少应给自己一个发现自己的机会。
MICHAEL: There's something else, of course, Joana. If I go into Dad's business, I have to stay here. You know that.
乔安娜,如果我进了父亲的公司,我就只能到此为止,这你是知道的